Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 upgrade environment diagnostics fails „cannot open database“
When trying to inplace-upgrade an Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 / 2011 installation, the environment diagnostics wizard fails to open the existing organization database.
Cannot open database „[ORGANIZATION]_MSCRM_40_MSCRM“ requested by the login.
The login failed.
Login failed for user „[DOMAIN\USER]“
Obviously, the wizard gets the database name wrong, as our database is named:
Warning: the following steps helped us completing the upgrade successfully, but please note that this is not an official solution. So yes, it is quick an dirty – use at your own risk!
As the wizard is looking for the wrong database, this helped us to get the upgrade running:
- back up the „[ORGANIZATION]_MSCRM_40“ database
- create a new database with the ‚wrong‘ name „[ORGANIZATION]_MSCRM_40_MSCRM“
- restore the database from step 1 to the newly created database, do NOT overwrite or delete the original database
- run the upgrade again, it should work now
- cleanup: take the ‚wrong‘ database offline and test CRM 2013, if ok, finally delete the ‚wrong‘ database
The upgrade process then did upgrade the correct database in our environment, still you should take backups of the system before the steps above!
And of course, there may be other reasons for failing upgrades, so be sure to follow the official Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 implemententation guide.